Friday, November 14, 2008

HGTV

Hello All!

This past week our class began watching a show on HGTV, Home and Garden Television, called "Groundbreakers". The HGTV website streams full episodes of many of their shows, several of which are very pertinent to our class. This week we watched two episodes of "Groundbreakers". One episode ("Laboring Towards a New Landscape") involved what could be considered a large scale residential project, the other ("Windowwall") a smaller scale residential project. However both incorporated retaining walls, water features, sod removal, and plant installation.

I began showing these episodes to the students as a form of inspiration, and to open dialog about the landscaping industry.
STUDENTS: Please tell me at least three things that you thought were really cool from these episodes. Also tell me if anything was surprising to you, did you see anything that was unexpected for the role of the Landscape Designer? What projects featured in these episodes do you want to learn more about?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the way they expanded the backyard in the first episode was cool, the waterfall was also cool, the wall in the second episode was pretty cool to. I was shocked how in the first episode they took the hill and turned it into a waterfall. I would like to learn more about building a retaining wall.

Anonymous said...

The three things that I thought was really cool was how they made the hill into a waterfall. Another is how they expanded the backyard and made it into a lounge.The last thing is they made her front yard look better. The one thing that was suprising to me was the waterfall on the hill. And the thing I did not expect was the landscape designer was shopping for antiques. The projects featured in these episodes that I wanna learn more about is putting a waterfall on a hill and make it look as good as they did.